Cardboard City Challenge
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN! CLICK HERE OR ANY OF THE SHACK PICTURES TO SIGN UP!!
On Friday, August 7th, Richmond Metropolitan Habitat for Humanity will be hosting our third Cardboard City Challenge! This event is open to youth ages, 13-18. Each team must have at least 2 members. There is no maximum team size, but your team will have to fit in your shack!
What is the Cardboard City Challenge?
Teams spend a night in cardboard boxes or constructed shacks in order to draw attention to housing issues, advocate for affordable housing, and educate participants on Habitat and why everyone should have a safe place to call home!
What is included in the Registration?
T-shirt, dinner, breakfast, and fun!
What will a team need to participate?
- We will provide all the materials to construct your shack.
- Each person will be given a list of what to bring.
- Each team can bring one item to incorporate in to their shack.
- Each team must have at least one adult volunteer who helps during the duration of the event.
- Prizes are awarded for the shack constructions, as well as for fundraising!
What is the fundraising goal?
Set a fundraising goal of $100. There will be a prize awarded for the team that raises the most money for Habitat!
- We do an orientation to Habitat & tour of Habitat build projects
- The shack building competition
- Games (both educational and just for fun)
- Affordable Housing Movie
- Service projects for Habitat (done on site for Habitat homeowners)
- Movie and sleep
Youth Leadership Council
Applications will open in June 2015!
Richmond Metropolitan Habitat for Humanity is taking applications for our NEW Youth Leadership Council! We are looking for local student leaders who want to help us plan future community projects and engage all age youth in Habitat events throughout the year!!
Youth that should apply:
- Interested in getting involved with the mission of Habitat for Humanity- to provide safe, affordable homes to deserving families in the Greater Richmond area.
- Want to work with a diverse group of peers to help plan and organize Habitat events for youth of all ages.
- Interested in learning about affordable housing issues in their community.
- Want to help us reach our goal of a Youth United Build in 2015!.
- Email Whitney at email@example.com for more information on the YLC!
Youth Leadership Council- DETAILS FOR THIS YEAR’S SUMMER WEEK ARE COMING SOON!
A week of volunteer projects for all age youth!
- Stay Tuned! The first week went great!! See pictures here.
LEGO Blitz Build- Saturday, November 14th 2015 (Next Year’s Date!)
Ages: 6-13 & Families
Thank you for all those that participated!!! Find pictures of this year’s event HERE!
How it works…
Build A LEGO House
· Participate in the LEGO-Blitz build in teams of three to compete for prizes and learn about Richmond Metropolitan Habitat for Humanity.
· Categories: Ages 6-9, Ages 10-13, & Families
· Registration Fee: $10/person. Teams of 2-4. Registration includes a t-shirt and first 50 registrations receive a ticket to the Science Museum.
· Fundraising: Set a goal of $100 in support of your LEGO house build. Prizes will be given to top fundraising teams. All money fundraised will go towards a local build.
For more information contact Whitney Guthrie, Volunteer Talent Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org!