Get Involved with Richmond Habitat Youth Programs!
Paint the Mission Contest- August 2013
We need your talent to help us decorate our currently, very plain Habitat tool containers. These tool containers are with us on site every day of the year and house all our tools when we are out on a build site. Therefore we want to beautify them with messages and pictures that relate to Habitat’s mission.
To help us with this we are asking that local youth submit drawings of what they think represents Habitat for Humanity’s mission and the work we do in the community. We will then select which of the drawings will go on the tool containers and have a day in August that the artists get to turn their submission in to action.
We will invite all those that submit a drawing to volunteer that day and all materials will be provided by Habitat to “Paint the Mission”. Submissions are due by August 1st, 2013.
Download the flyer here. To get a registration form and guidelines for the contest, please email email@example.com or call 804-232-7001, ext. 112.
LEGO Blitz Build- Saturday, November 9th 2013 (tentatively- date subject to change)
Ages: 8-13 & Families
How it works…
Build A LEGO House
· Participate in the LEGO-Blitz build in teams of three to compete for prizes and learn about Richmond Metropolitan Habitat for Humanity.
· Categories: Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8, & Families
· Registration Fee: Team Registration is $60 to include t-shirts for 3 team members. Each entry fee is tax-deductible.
· Fundraising: Set a goal of $100 in support of your LEGO house build. Prizes will be given to top fundraising teams. All money fundraised will go towards a local build.
· Place a LEGO collection box in your community
· Drop off your box with donated LEGOs at the Richmond Habitat Office. Date TBD.
· All LEGOs from this effort will be donated to local after-school programs.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Youth Leadership Council- Fall/Winter 2013-14
Richmond Metropolitan Habitat for Humanity is taking applications for our NEW Youth Leadership Council! We are looking for local student leaders who want to help us plan future community projects and engage all age youth in Habitat events throughout the year!!
Youth that should apply:
- Interested in getting involved with the mission of Habitat for Humanity- to provide safe, affordable homes to deserving families in the Greater Richmond area.
- Want to work with a diverse group of peers to help plan and organize Habitat events for youth of all ages.
- Interested in learning about affordable housing issues in their community.
- Want to help us reach our goal of a Youth United Build in 2015!.
Thank You to all Our Cardboard City Challenge Participants!!
The weekend of Global Youth Service Day, April 27th we had 78 youth participate in our first Cardboard City Challenge. For more pictures from the event, visit us on Facebook.
The Cardboard City Challenge is an overnight event that has youth construct and spend the night in cardboard boxes while learning about Habitat for Humanity and the importance of affordable housing! It is an educational and fun night with games, DJ, prizes, and much more. This event is perfect for clubs, youth groups, sports teams, your group of friends, etc. Plus you can get around 13 hours of community service for school with this one event!
Next year’s Cardboard City Challenge will be Saturday, April 26th. Email email@example.com for more information.
Habitat for Humanity Club:
- Youth ages 14-18
- Youth hold leadership positions in the club
- A member of each club represents on a Junior Board that meets monthly at our ReStore.
- Have an adult advisor
- In a year:
- Volunteer at least 6 times (ReStore or Builds)
- Clubs host 3 advocacy activities
- Plan 1 Fundraiser for Richmond Habitat (Habitat Day)
- Work continuously to educate the public about Richmond Habitat for Humanity (social media- blogs, Facebook, Twitter)
- Plan an activity for the youth of all ages to participate in for the annual Richmond Habitat Global Youth Service Day in April.
- Plan a Habitat event with other Youth Clubs
For more information contact Whitney Guthrie, Volunteer Talent Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org!