HOW CAN I VOLUNTEER?
Click the Calendar to Register and Sign Up
- Keep construction costs low by providing free labor and services. More than 34,000 volunteers have built with Richmond Metropolitan Habitat for Humanity since 1986. That’s over 68,000 hands that have touched the lives of Richmond families! Check out our Volunteer Sheet for more information on our builds and ReStore!
- Volunteers help us in MANY WAYS (See the FAQs below for more information):
- Build Sites– We have three active build sites and we build year round, Wednesday-Saturday. Volunteers help with almost all aspects of building!
- ReStore Warehouse– Volunteers help with the organization, pricing, loading/unloading of donations in our retail warehouse Monday-Saturday!
- Committees– Volunteers assist ! with committees for Family Services, Construction, Development, ReStore & Finance! If interested please email email@example.com
- Councils– We have four councils: Builder’s Council (Young Professionals), Women Build Council, Faith Council, & Youth Leadership Council!
- Office-Volunteers assist in our office by sitting at our front desk to greet people as they come in, answer phones, and with administrative work! If interested please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our office is open Monday-Thursday, 8:30A-5:30P and Fridays, 8:30A-12:30P (for the summer).
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES FAQs
WHERE IS THE VOLUNTEER SITE?
We build in Richmond, Chesterfield, and Henrico. Our ReStore is located at 1901 Roane Street in Richmond. Throughout the year volunteers are on site at our Rehabs, New Builds, and our Critical Home Repair program. Stay connected with the Online Volunteer UP Calendar (click RIGHT) for up to day opportunities with us.
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?
• Wear sturdy shoes (i.e. hiking shoes, leather boots or a solid pair of tennis shoes) – no sandals, crocs, house slippers, flip-flops, or open toed or heeled shoes!
- Dress in layers to adjust to changing weather and exertion levels
- Wear clothes which can get dirty and stained
- Work Gloves
• NO short shorts, sagging pants or shorts, halter-tops or spaghetti straps!
WHEN SHOULD I ARRIVE?
- Builds: Volunteers should be on site no later than 8:00AM- this is when the safety talk begins!
- ReStore: The volunteer orientation start at the beginning of each shift (10AM & 2PM)!
HOW OLD DO I NEED TO BE TO VOLUNTEER?
- Builds: Volunteers MUST be at least 16 years old!
- ReStore: Volunteers can volunteer at 14 and 15 with an adult at our ReStore.
- We have other youth activities throughout the year. Please visit our YOUTH PAGE for more information!
CAN I DO COMMUNITY SERVICE FOR A COURT RELATED OFFENSE?
Yes! We have a policy in place so that folks can do community service for court with us. YOU MUST EMAIL email@example.com BEFORE! BEFORE! BEFORE! you start volunteering. We have some offenses that you cannot do hours with us for and we provide an hours sheet to you so that you can get your letter in a timely matter once you are finished!
WHAT ABOUT TOOLS AND SAFETY EQUIPMENT?
We have ALL the tools & safety equipment you will need for the task at hand! Safety equipment will be available – including gloves, hard hats (when needed), safety goggles, ear protection, and dust masks when appropriate. If you choose to bring your own tools, please put your name on them. Habitat will not be responsible for misplaced/lost personal tools.
DO I NEED CONSTRUCTION EXPERIENCE TO VOLUNTEER WITH HABITAT?
No! All skill levels welcome. Our trained staff and volunteers will help you along the way. Please note that construction is a physical task and you should be comfort- able being on your feet for extended periods of time.
DO WE WORK IN THE RAIN/SNOW/EXCESSIVE HEAT?
As long as it is safe and productive- YES! If the weather gets really bad, we will stop working early, or put in a half day. Remember to dress appropriately for weather.
*In the event of inclement weather, the VOLUNTEER UP CALENDAR will be updated with notification of the cancellation or delay and an email will be sent through the site.
For more information, please contact Whitney Guthrie, Volunteer Talent Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org OR 804-232-7001.