What is AmeriCorps?
AmeriCorps engages thousands of Americans of all ages and backgrounds for a year of service. The program founded in 1994, has engaged more than 800,000 AmeriCorps members who have contributed more than 1 billion hours in service across America.
AmeriCorps VISTA: VISTA (Volunteer in Service to America) provide indirect service for organizations by creating and implementing programs that focus on poverty.
AmeriCorps State and National: provide direct service to the organization to effectively utilize volunteers to meet critical community needs.
AmeriCorps NCCC/FEMA Corps: this program brings together young adults, ages 18-24 to work as a team during four, six-eight week periods of time with a different non-profit organizations.
Benefits of AmeriCorps:
- Skills for the future
- Living allowance of $12,100 paid over 10 months (National Direct) or approximately $890 per month over a year (VISTA.)
- Health insurance and workers compensation insurance (or equivalent)
- Education award of $5,500. The education awards are paid as vouchers by the National Service Trust, and may be redeemed within seven years to pay for current education costs at qualified colleges, universities, other post-secondary institutions and approved school-to-work programs, or to pay back qualified student loans already incurred.
- Forbearance of qualified student loans and payment of interest that accrues during the term of service.
Positions at Richmond Habitat:
- Volunteer Programs Coordinator: starts August 2016!
- ReStore Marketing VISTA: POSITION FILLED! starts August 2016!
How do I apply?
We are currently recruiting members in the above available positions. We will conduct a first round phone interview with appropriate applicants, followed by in-person or skype interviews. Final acceptance into the program is subject to a background check and a potential phone interview with Habitat International.
To apply for any of the above positions, applicants should complete the online application on the AmeriCorps website, as well as send a resume and cover letter to Whitney Guthrie at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also contact Whitney for any questions regarding AmeriCorps.